Sunday, November 26, 2006

Holiday Traditions: After Thanksgiving Shopping

In good "after Thanksgiving" fashion, my family headed to the "8th Floor Dayton's Display" in downtown Minneapolis. Now I realize that the infamous department store hasn't been Dayton's for 6 years, however, it seems wrong to proclaim we saw the "8th Floor Macy's display!" Yet we are simply grateful Macy's is continuing the tradition of opening the 8th floor to imagination and story for all to enjoy.

Our morning begins with 3 families coming together to enjoy the day. My mom and dad from Eau Claire, my sister, brother-in-law, and niece from Brooklyn Park, and Didrik and I from Inver Grove. We meet in the Women's shoe department on the first floor of Macy's. We then venture to the elevator headed to the 8th floor. The line appears to be long weaving all the way back towards the escalator, however we enjoy each other's company and soon find ourselves at the start of the display. This year the story is Mary Poppin's. The detail and charm is delightful. My 2 year old niece Allison enjoys every animation and surprise. At the end my mom, sister, and I shop for unique treasures while my dad waits in line for gingerbreak cookies.

From the 8th floor display we travel upwards to the 12th floor in order to wait for a table at the Oak Grill. I am able to predict who will order each entree as my family member's deliberate over the intricate menu. They pretend to be interested in something new, however they crave their yearly favorites. Our lunch begins with the perfect appetizer, the Oak Grill popover.

The serious shopping begins after lunch while we visit Macy's trim-the-home and housewares (the basement), Crate and Barrel, William Sonoma, and Target. My feet are tired by the end of the afternoon but my appetite for the holiday season is just beginning.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home