Tuesday, October 17, 2006

My Body Aches

Lately I have been doing a lot of "Moonlighting". Being a bit straped for cash I have started instructing fitness classes at various clubs in my neighborhood.

The obsession started last summer. Working at the YMCA I have the wonderful opportunity to use any YMCA facility in Metro area. I found myself at the Emma B. Howe location in Coon Rapids. Here I would take all sorts of various classes including Step, BOSU, and BodyPump. Though I had taken many classes before, especially at the Woodbury location where I worked full-time, it was at Coon Rapids I started to realize, hey I could do this.

In the fall of 2005, I spoke to the fitness director at Woodbury explaining my interest in group fitness. I was excited to hear that she believed I would be a good instructor. That September I went through a weekend Super Certification course thought the National YMCA of the USA. I became certified to teach Cardio and Step.

It was at this training that I met Barb, the fitness director at the South Family YMCA in West St. Paul. I happened to mention to her that I was interested in becoming certified to teach BodyPump (after all, that was my favorite class). A month later Barb e-mailed me with the news that she was hosting a BodyPump training at South and she wanted to put me through the training. This was a great opportunity and I leaped at the chance.

That all happened last November. It was been a wonderful year of learning about my physical abilities, doing things I never thought that I could accomplish. However, I have this inability to say, "no". Here I am instructing at 4 different clubs, teaching 10-15 classes a week.

I started instructing at the Woodbury YMCA. Then I began explanding my time to include classes at the South Family YMCA. When I was promoted to the Skyway YMCA Downtown St. Paul, it was important to me to be able to connect to the members as a fitness instructor as well as the membership coordinator. Wanting to branch outside of the YMCA, I got a gig as a long-term sub at Southview Athletic Club in West St. Paul, and now I'm subbing at The Grove in Inver Grove Heights! But I love it! I want to keep improving - did I mention I'm attending a Pilates training all weekend long?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home