Tuesday, October 03, 2006

What clock?

This past summer I turned 30. My husband is 35. We were married last December. The majority of our friends have begun the procreation ritual once, twice, three times over. Naturally I look at myself asking, is it time for me to become a mother?

I have a niece Allison, she is 2 and the apple of my eye. But she's my niece. Every couple of weeks I get to play with her, buy her ice cream, keep her up until 10pm, and then leave her with my sister and brother-in-law to pick up the pieces. My sister is expecting another child in January.

There is a woman who attends my Tuesday Strength class. She is pregnant for the first time, due in 6 weeks. Last week I was brave enough to ask her age, she's 38. She is my hero!

Another lady in my early morning BodyPump class miscarried her second child, she thinks it's because she is already 32.

While working at the YMCA in Woodbury, a member who had one child after years of many failed attempts, and adopted a second child gave me her advise, "freeze your eggs now, you're only getting older."

I'm not ready to have children. I am too selfish. I like to take naps, work late, and instruct 10 fitness classes a week. I love to travel and watch TV. I want to go back to school to earn my PhD. I have goals and dreams that don't necessarily include a baby.

Yet there are days when I say to myself, "Why don't get just get knocked up."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home